Today I am watching The Princess Bride.
I saw that it was available for streaming on Netflix and decided it would be a fun watch. I was under the false impression that I had seen this movie before, mostly because it’s so thoroughly in our cultural pantheon. I thought I had seen because I get so many of the references! I see the Inigo memes on Reddit, and I remember watching the famous poison scene during that clip show I Love The 80s on Vh1 (Did anyone else used to marathon that show? My brother and I, born in the early 90s, watched every episode of I Love The 7os and I Love The 80s. We learned so much about bad 70s sitcoms and 80s movies!).
After a few minutes, it became super clear to me that, no, I have NEVER seen this classic movie. And it got me thinking about all of the other movies I “get” but have not actually seen. I mean, knowing that iconic images from movies is not the same as watching them…
So, here are 10 super popular/critically acclaimed movies I have never seen:
- E.T. But I know about the alien and the bike and baby Drew Barrymore.
- The Godfather. I mean, I don’t even need to list any references here- YOU know them, even if you haven’t seen this either. Plus, I’ve seen Goodfellas a lot, so that’s been my excuse for not seeing this classic so far. It’s on my list! My Italian boyfriend gets mad whenever he remembers I still haven’t seen this.
- Groundhog Day. I mean, Bill Murray and that groundhog and a repeating day. I get it, right?
- Saving Private Ryan. Said to be one of the best movies of all time, starring actors I love.
- The Departed. This is one of those ‘guy’ movies that I would pass over in favor of watching Bring It On again. Bad habit, I know.
- Gone With The Wind. One of the most famous movies of all time has just passed me by.
- Jaws. I mean, I know that theme song. Big shark. Bigger boat. Gotcha.
- Rocky. Running up the stairs montage. Check.
- Frozen. Braided disney princess wants it to snow, right?
- Scarface. Say hello to my little friend.
In our culture full of pop culture references, I don’t think I’m alone in “getting” all of the references to something and consequently not finding it worth my time to seek out. That’s the part I want to be clear about with this post- I have definitely seen my share of movies in my 25 years, but it’s almost like the more popular and beloved a movie is, the more I feel like I don’t need to actually waste time seeing it because I already know what happens. I’m more likely to skip an incredible movie because I’ve heard so much about it over the years, which is completely illogical.
This is coupled with my impatience for movies in general, which I have been trying to grow out of. Whenever I actually sit down and watch a movie, I end up loving it (like when Scott finally got me to watch Back To The Future!). Today, spending my time with The Princess Bride, I realized it’s way better to enjoy the entire movie than to get one reference (duh, right?). I loved this movie and can’t wait to watch more.
So what should I watch first??
Which famous movies have you not seen either? Tell me I’m not alone!!